Saturday, February 13, 2010

Plagiarism & Course Reflections

Everyone is so keen in this class that I am having a hard time competing. I didn't realize I was in the middle of a fierce competition until I read some of the blogs :)! Whenever I have something interesting to say someone says it before me. Whenever I have something interesting to write about, someone writes about it before me. Someone always beats me to the punch! It has only been two days since class and already everything that I was going to write about has already been written by everyone else.

This, however, is not the most humiliating part of this class. The most humbling part of this experience is not only are people stealing my ideas, they are taking my ideas and running with them. They are explaining them in a scholarly manner; much better than I could ever do. People are knowledgeable, well-read and precise. They are articulate with their explanations, and everyone is able to synthesize ideas from class with their own experiences.

Luckily, I am far more excited to be part of this group than I am humbled. I have been learning so much from interacting with my colleagues. In my undergrad degree I was competitive, now in my masters program I am a participant. The insight that goes into these blogs is amazing. Denis is not the only one laying bricks! Everyone in the class is laying bricks. My mind is being shaped as a result of this course. So many strong thoughts have resonated with me and changed the way I see technology in the classroom. "Technology is a process." "The essence of technology is by no means anything technological." In addition, in constructing these blogs this "forced reflection" time has allowed me to take the time to reflect; Not only on this class, but it has allowed me to challenge the way I am using technology in my own classroom. Is it really to the benefit of my students to power point all my lessons? Am I an overpaid university grad who worked hard for the first few years of teaching but now gets paid way too much to push the space bar? Convenience for me and flashy lessons for my students are sometimes necessary to maintain sanity, but this should not be the norm in any classroom. CONTENT MATTERS!

So how does plagiarism, bricks and reflections all tie together? Simply put we are all laying bricks. Sometimes we use someone else’s bricks, sometimes we don't. Using a few bricks from someone else is not plagiarism. Kicking someone out of their "Cathedral" and moving in is plagiarism. As the course changes pace, it is up to us to lay the bricks. Denis has given us a good foundation on which to build. I look forward to all of your presentations and I would like to thank you in advance for your bricks. As for the competition aspect I am much like the sole athlete from Jamaica at the Vancouver Olympic games; I don’t expect a medal but I am grateful to be here, and I am grateful for the opportunity to test myself against some of the best.

10 comments:

  1. Don't sell yourself short, Paul Your posts have shown insight and good ideas. The great thing about courses at the graduate level vs undergrad is the depth and quality of discussion, collaboration and learning. Learning is very much social and these blogs and the course takes advantage of that.

    I like your description of kicking someone out of the cathedral and moving in as plagiarism, nicely stated. But, if we borrow a few dozen bricks, is that plagiarism? (see the link to the article near the end of my blog post).

    After teaching for many years, including helping practicing and pre-service teachers learn about using technology in the classroom, it is evident that you are thoughtful and critical in your use of technology.(sorry if I am sounding like a teacher here, but I am!). I do agree that content matters, perhaps not as much as the learning to learn and thinking, but if we don't have anything to think about, we wouldn't get very far...and the glitz of technology is not what it should be about.
    Now lets keep laying bricks together - and building a great edifice as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,

    First, I agree with Mike about your Cathedral comment, but I also agree with him about the bricks. We need to cite even for one brick, but we can say things in our own words. I'm no expert on plagiarism and the Lord knows I have abstracted ideas without properly citing them. But, am I a plagiarist? No. I intend to do my own work (and do) and give proper credit to those whose work appears in mine.

    Second, you are not overpaid. I think I am underpaid. I pity the American teachers. Have you ever looked at an American teacher salary schedule? We are professionals and deserve to be compensated as such.

    Lastly, you are on the podium - in the middle. Sharing ideas and challenging the position of others (inadvertently or not), being challenged by the ideas of others, collaborating; I find it an excellent synergic experience. I treasure these classes because they are the only forums where I get to consistently use words bigger than me (and honestly, I spend a lot of time in the dictionary). In these classes I don't think we are competing, though it may appear that way (it's the Hiedegger danger being revealed the more we push the envelope together!). Doing this degree has been one of the best experiences of my life. I am thankful for you and others who have helped to make it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys,
    Let me explain my brick comment a little better. The truth is we do not cite sources as often as we should, and what Gary says is true: We (the academics) give proper credits when we are trying to make a point or justify something. I think the whole plagiarism issue is cloudy in the sense that we never credit those who have influenced us, and have shaped our thoughts. Denis, for example, gave us a foundation for a lot of interesting ideas, but we are going to cite "the Giants", and not him. Why do you have to write articles in journals to be credited with a good idea? A conversation with a colleague can be just as powerful as a good article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaw Paul! I could as well have made the same comments. Felt the same way and perhaps written the same words....hmmm! Would I have plagiarized?

    One thing I learned after reading the first couple blog posts in week 1 was to convince myself that I am unable to compete in the English language with my peers. And I have a justification -- English is not my first language. But I do not have an excuse. No, not an excuse for failure. So I must thrive in that medium which may not be mine but in which I can master and show proficiency. Simply put, I said to myself, I will explain terms in the most basic of forms, listen hard, work twice as much and learn, learn, learn. Now, thats what puts you and I and everyone else in the same spot -- the learning spot. And bricks we must all lay! I am your co brick layer. A partner in progress, Paul. A partner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A competition, no. A think tank, yes. Did you stop to consider that perhaps you are the inspiration for some of the ideas that we have? That you keep us young by motivating us to work harder? That you are our hope for passing on some of our ideas (lame or not) as you shape the lives of those you teach? That you are our legacy? That is an enormous responsibility to burden! If we are the bricks you may very well be the mortar.

    There seems to be too much emphasis on plagarsim and not enough on developing innovative and creative thinkers. Plagarism is less likely to occur when learning activities are more personalized and experiential.

    Content does matter, but not as much as context. I do not teach my students computer science, I tell them they are computer game programmers and their responsibility is to create a variety of games (one original) that play out in levels. If they happen to learn computer science along the way that is a pleasant byproduct of the experience. Think of islands of expertise. How does a child of 5-7 years of age learn all the names of dinosaurs and the relevant paleontogoly? Simple: interest.

    For your listening pleasure:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bvT-DGcWw

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all fun and very engaging! I fell fortunate to be in this class with all of you! I like what you said, Paul, about crediting the 'giants' but maybe not crediting Denis. Well - I am going to credit Denis - and everyone in the class - for stretching my thinking, causing me to reflect on lots of ideas. I may take some of everyone's ideas and incorporate them into my own - so I will publicly say - thanks to all! Now where the h#!! did I put my bricks???

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more thing .. love this video, thanks Roman - very good with all the brick talk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Roman, thanks for the video. A classic. Think the wall has anything to do with enframing? Notice that it was good old technology that busted down the wall. Maybe we should take a lesson. Modern technology hasn't just knocked walls down, it has destroyed brick factories, unless a teacher speaks tech (well, maybe in my twistedness I'm being a little extreme here).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tune. By the way I do not actually feel overpaid. Teaching is one of the only professions where the workload keeps increasing each year without the compensation that is deserved. How much has technology contributed to this increased workload?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good question - in many ways technology, which is intended to decrease our work, acts to increase it in some ways. Especially for people who can't disconnect (like me, blogging when I have work to do - arghhh!)

    ReplyDelete