Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Cave Revisited and the Educational Technology Definition

The class discussion on Plato's Allegory in the Cave helped me better understand the message on resistance to change. The prisoners only knew their world of shadows and would resist the message being delivered by the returning prisoner. To gain a deeper understanding of the the Allegory I read it again and another message resonated with me. The message that it is the duty and obligation of the returning prisoner to enlighten others. Socrates speaks on the happiness of the "Whole State." The founders must "continue to ascend until they arrive at the good," but then "they must made descend again among the prisoners in the cave..."

This quote reminded me when I was at an MSIP conference, and the speaker whose name I forget said "With leadership there is always opposition. It is a given. If you do not like opposition become a curriculum consultant!" We are leaders in our schools and we must understand that when introducing new technologies there will be opposition. It is our duty to continue to work with those who are resistant to technology in order to benefit our schools and students.

The second thing the I remember from class was the 2008 AECT definition:

Educational technology is the study and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using, and managing appropriate technological processes and resources.

I am not a big fan of this definition. Perhaps, because I can not see past the technology as a "tool" definition which I eagerly proclaimed during my first class introduction, " My name is Paul and I try to use technology as a teaching tool every day." Hopefully I will become more enlightened as the course progresses, but let me state my case. I do not consider myself to be educational technology. I am a teacher. It is my role to create, use and manage appropriate technological processes and resources. I guess I do not see educational technology as a study and ethical practice but rather as a thing. And using and mastering this thing called technology is just an indicator of good teaching.

Teachers facilitate learning and improve performance by creating, using, and managing appropriate technological processes and resources.

I know I am getting the definitions of technology and educational technology confused so please enlighten me!

3 comments:

  1. With regards to educational technology, I agree with you that good teaching is "using and mastering this thing called technology". I think we can look at two aspects, the 'tool' part is the computer, the IWB, the software etc. The process part is how to use it effectively and appropriately - the pedagogy. I think the point is to use the tech as a tool, but , as you say, use it and manage it in a way that enhances learning. This process is what the definition of educational technology is about (at least that is my take on it!)

    ... And good point about being the leaders in schools, go Plato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, you have hit on some key issues. I read Plato the same way you did with regard to the return of the enlightened one to the cave. Though the old dwellers would hear nothing of the revelations from one who saw the light, the one who did see the light must attempt to share the wisdom gained by seeing it. Even if there is resistance to change, we who do work well with technology need to set examples. Our classrooms need to be models others can follow. Most newer teachers, I think, are much more accepting of technology in the classroom and would be more willing to try to make it work. There is that generational thing.

    The tool definition resonates with me too. I began the ed tech program with a very technical perspective and to a large degree remain that way. The technology is a tool, but the craftsman who uses it may or may not be that skilled. The skilled craftsman knows his materials, his tools and how to use the right too at the right time (with the right material). The same applies to us in the classroom. You can relate to this one: knowing when to use Geometer's Sketchpad is as important as knowing how to use it, wouldn't you say? The same for using an applet to demonstrate the effects of transformations on trig curves. Is the TI-83+ a sufficient technology? We, being the educational technologists, need to be able to answer those questions in terms of the learning that can occur if the tools are used wisely. And, as math teachers, we need to know that the ability to quickly compare differences in many transformed graphs can be more effective than using a text that has only a few to compare.

    The idea of metaphor, as you know, is a big one in education. So is the role of education in society, and society's impact on education. I think the monkeying around with definitions to get to the essence of technology in education or society has to do with the overall effect technology has on people. What does it do to attitudes, cognition, work ethic, etc.? I think that to ask what technology is in terms of people is a significant question. This is where things for me became fuzzy. Are our tools extensions of ourselves (in the sense that a glove is an added layer of skin)? Or, do the tools simply extend our abilities beyond our natural selves (I can work better outside in the cold because I have gloves)? Is technology derived by observation (Newton's apple, numeric multipliers), or is it the result of deliberate scientific inquiry (what will happen if I mix the red liquid with the green one)? You are a math guy, so you've likely heard of Fuzzy Logic. I think it's all in the fuzz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Paul, duty and obligation should resonate with us but sometime we give up especially when it relates to technology deployment in certain areas where there are clearly resistance. The courage to enlighten should abide with us. But where do we get the strength to keep tugging at resistance? I get weary sometimes and I leave it to posterity. But is this the right attitude?

    ReplyDelete